How To Protect Your Car from Extreme Cold
The winters in the Glendale Heights region can create a lot of stress for our friends and neighbors, but those who know how to prepare can make sure that their car never lets them down in an hour of need! Take advantage of these useful tips to make this winter the easiest one yet.
How to Winterize Your Car
Even the most reliable vehicles are built with complex systems that can easily take a beating from the extreme weather in the St. Charles and Naperville areas. In spite of their complexity, you can protect your vehicle’s most important vital components by taking a few simple steps before the cold sets in:
- Equip Winter-Ready Components: Although most vehicles come standard with “all-season” tires, specialized winter tires can dramatically improve handling and control when there’s snow or ice on the road. Winter-ready windshield wipers are better at cutting through ice and sleet, and they’re built to stand up to the season’s beatings.
- Check Your Tires: Even after you’ve equipped your vehicle with winter tires, it’s important to keep a close eye on your tire pressure, especially if there’s been a sudden or significant shift in temperature. Tires that haven’t been adequately filled will limit your control on the road.
- Under the Hood: Extreme cold can knock out a battery that’s on its last leg, leaving you stranded in the evening or unable to reach work in the morning! Avoid this stress by replacing your battery before winter sets in. While you’re at it, make sure to replace or refill your vehicle’s antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, and motor oil. For the latter, choose a low-viscosity option engineered for winter driving.
- Protect Your Locks: Locks can jam up if it gets too cold, and if they’ve come into contact with the right amount of water, they can even freeze over! Apply a lubricant to each of your lock cylinders at the beginning of winter, and the effect should last all season. If you get a car wash, make sure to open and close all your doors to free up any trapped liquid.
Winter Car Accessories at DuPage Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM
If you want to be ready for the worst that the Glendale Heights winters have to offer, it’s a good idea to explore the accessories that can be equipped on the car you drive. Our dealership can connect you with a full selection of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and RAM accessories, and drivers from as far out as Downers grove can get them installed in no time at our service center. These are just a few of your options:
- Remote Engine Starter Technology
- Cargo Liners
- Rubber Floor Mats
- Winter Tires
- Running Boards
Contact Our Service Department!
When you gear up for the cold this year, the experts at the DuPage Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM service center will be here to help! Contact us today to schedule service or to learn more about how to winterize your car.